Odisha: Student commits suicide after parents failure to pay for picnic
Balaram Nayak (12) allegedly committed suicide by hanging in the house at Gobara under Gangapur police station limit.
Berhampur: A class seven student of an upper primary school in Odisha's Ganjam district allegedly committed suicide due to his parent's failure to pay contribution for his school picnic, police said on Monday. Balaram Nayak (12) allegedly committed suicide by hanging in the house at Gobara under Gangapur police station limit, about 70-km from Berhampur after returning from the school on Saturday as his parents could not pay the required money for the picnic, they said.
He was taken to the hospital immediately by the villagers, where the doctor declared him brought dead. The boy's father Santosh Nayak, a daily labourer, was away for work and mother had gone to forest to collect forest products, when their son took the extreme step, police said.
Ganjam district Collector Krishan Kumar said the Head master of the school was placed under suspension after the incident. Preliminary inquiry said the student committed suicide as he could not pay the donation for the picnic.
Collection of donation in any form was illegal as per the Right to Education Act, an officer said.
Recommended For You
- Man Purposely Damages Tesla Model S to Save a Life, Gets Compensation
- Running Shaadi Review: It's Weighed Down by Choppy Editing, Inconsistent Screenplay
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Female)
- Sledging Virat Kohli Will Hurt Us: David Warner
- India A vs Australia: Shreyas Iyer Slams 202* As Match Ends in Draw