Odisha: Two immolate to keep policemen out of house
Police were searching for them to arrest them in connection with an attack on a local resident.
Bhubaneswar: Two men set themselves afire in Odisha in a bid to prevent policemen from entering their house as they investigated a crime, a family member said on Monday. Sheikh Sadique, 25 and his elder brother Sabir, 35 were upset that a police team was in their house in the district headquarters town of Balasore, about 200 km from Bhubaneswar, to arrest them on Sunday in connection with an attack on a local resident.
As soon as the police team entered the house, the duo allegedly poured kerosene and set fire to themselves. One the brothers died on the way to hospital, while the other died during treatment. "Though they were on fire, the policemen dragged them into the jeep without making any attempt to douse the flames. The police had come to arrest them even if they were innocent" Arzu Biwi, wife of Sabir, said.
Police however refuted the allegation. "The policemen rushed them to hospital. The two were involved in criminal activities, and both had nearly 90 percent burns," police officer Tariq Ahemad said.
- I Pray For Her Long And Healthy Life: PM Modi Wishes Lata Mangeshkar On 87th birthday
- Pakistan Can't Take India's Restraint Granted for Long: Wall Street
- Key Moments From Lata Mangeshkar's Life You May Have Missed
- Pakistan Approaches World Bank on Indus Waters Treaty Row With India
- United Nations Should Declare Pakistan a Terror State: Bangladesh Envoy
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resign as English Manager
- SAARC: After India, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Bangladesh Pull Out of Summit
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away