Odisha: Two immolate to keep policemen out of house
Police were searching for them to arrest them in connection with an attack on a local resident.
Bhubaneswar: Two men set themselves afire in Odisha in a bid to prevent policemen from entering their house as they investigated a crime, a family member said on Monday. Sheikh Sadique, 25 and his elder brother Sabir, 35 were upset that a police team was in their house in the district headquarters town of Balasore, about 200 km from Bhubaneswar, to arrest them on Sunday in connection with an attack on a local resident.
As soon as the police team entered the house, the duo allegedly poured kerosene and set fire to themselves. One the brothers died on the way to hospital, while the other died during treatment. "Though they were on fire, the policemen dragged them into the jeep without making any attempt to douse the flames. The police had come to arrest them even if they were innocent" Arzu Biwi, wife of Sabir, said.
Police however refuted the allegation. "The policemen rushed them to hospital. The two were involved in criminal activities, and both had nearly 90 percent burns," police officer Tariq Ahemad said.
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Watch: Talking point With Arunoday Mukharji
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- Pan Masala Row: Saddened to Know It Can Cause Cancer, Says Pierce Brosnan
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18