Olazabal announces 3 of 4 Ryder Cup vice captains
The European Ryder Cup captain picked Darren Clarke, Paul McGinley and Thomas Bjorn for the match against the United States.
Virginia Water, England: European Ryder Cup captain Jose Maria Olazabal announced three of his four vice captains on Thursday, picking Irishmen Darren Clarke and Paul McGinley and Thomas Bjorn of Denmark for the match against the United States.
The 46-year-old Olazabal, who played in seven Ryder Cup matches, was a vice captain alongside his three picks for the 2010 event at Celtic Manor, which Europe won 14 1/2 - 13 1/2 .
"I could not be more delighted than to have Thomas, Darren and Paul as vice captains," Olazabal said. "All three are world class golfers with tremendous experience of playing in The Ryder Cup."
Clarke played a key part in Europe's victory in 2006, inspiring the team by taking all three points available to him despite losing his wife to cancer a month earlier. "We'll be seeking to use our experience to re-create that terrific team spirit and bonding that has made the European team room such a special place to be for so many years," said Clarke, the 2011 British Open winner who has made five Ryder Cup appearances in total. "Make no mistake this is a very strong backroom team because we have been there before and done it before."
The Ryder Cup will be held at the Medinah Country Club in Chicago, Illinois, from September 28-30. McGinley, enjoying a resurgence this year with three top-10 finishes on the European tour, echoed his compatriot's sentiments.
"The Americans always look to start fast, especially on home soil, as they did at Valhalla in 2008, and we will need to be ready for that," McGinley said.
Bjorn became the first Dane to compete in the Ryder Cup in 1997 and said he was happy to continue his role as vice-captain. "I said in 2010 that if you can't play well enough to be on the team then I am very happy to do this role," Bjorn said.
- Here's What Bollywood Celebrities Have To Say About MNS Ban On Pakistani Artistes
- Colombia, Marxist Rebels Sign Accord Ending 52-Year War
- Ban on Pakistani Artistes No Solution to Terrorism: Karan Johar to MNS
- Karan Johar, Nimrat Kaur Praise Nikkhil Advani's TV Show
- After Google and Salesforce, Disney Now Wants to Buy Twitter
- Google Station, YouTube Go, Google Play for 2G Launched
- Google to Provide Public Wi-Fi Hotspots in Malls, Universities in India
- Happy Birthday! Google is Now an Adult
From Our Network
- What ails Amma? Medical all-clear fails to end guessing job over Jayalalithaa's health- FirstPost
- JD(U) leader Sanjay Jha comes out in Arun Jaitley's defense, rules out his involvement in DDCA scam - Pradesh18
- Dadri lynching: Police find no evidence of cow slaughter by Akhlaq family, to file closure report - Pradesh18