Olympian Vijender Singh skips boxing trial camp in Patiala
Punjab Police said that it will not accept report of the dope test on Vijender conducted by the NADA as it has no legal validity.
Chandigarh: India's Olympic medallist Vijender Singh has not shown up for the boxing trial camp in Patiala. Participation in the boxing camp is necessary for the boxer's selection. Boxing Federation Vice President Nivaran Mukherjee said, "Vijender hasn't come for the trials. If he doesn't attend the camp tomorrow he will fail to qualify or the next tournament."
On Friday, the Punjab Police had said that the boxer has not been let off in the multi-crore drug haul case. The police also said that it will not accept report of the dope test on Vijender conducted by the National Anti Doping Agency (NADA) as it has no legal validity. After refusing to give samples to Punjab Police, Vijender, whose name cropped up in the high-profile Mohali drug haul, had on Friday made himself available for an out-of-competition dope test by NADA officials.
Fatehgarh Sahib SSP HS Mann said the police cannot accept the NADA test report as it has no legal validity. "The investigating officer has to get the tests done under legal provisions available in CrPC and IPC," Mann said, adding police will take legal steps to get samples from the boxer.
Asked about possible arrest of Vijender in connection with the case, Mann said he could not say anything at the moment. "Everything depends on the investigation of the case and role of different suspects emerging in it," he said.
Meanwhile Vijender's sparring partner Ram Singh, arrested on Thursday night after over three weeks of day-to-day interrogation, was on Friday remanded in police custody till April 7. He was the 16th accused to be arrested following recovery of 26 kilogram of heroin from the house of a Canada-based NRI Anoop Singh Kahlon at Zirakpur in Mohali last month.
With Additional Inputs from PTI
- Indian, Afghan Spy Agencies Patronising Terror: Pakistan Tells US
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: India Beat Malaysia 2-1 to Seal Top Spot
- Don't Invite Foreign Teams to Pakistan in Current Situation: Shoaib Akhtar
- Pakistan Summons Indian Envoy, Lodges Strong Protest Over 'Unprovoked Firing'
- Donald Trump Will Be Next US President, Predicts Election Wizard
- Donald Trump's Daughter-in-Law Celebrates Diwali at Hindu Temple in US
- Donald Trump Says Would Probe Email Investigation of Hillary Clinton
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 9: Luxury Budget Task BB Laundry Creates Havoc In The House