Olympic hopeful opens brothel to pay for training
Logan Campbell had represented New Zeland in Beijing Olympic Games.
Wellington: A cash-strapped Olympic hopeful in New Zealand says he has been forced to open a brothel to fund his bid for taekwondo glory in 2012, but officials say his entry into the sex trade could mean his exit from international sport.
Logan Campbell, who represented his country in Beijing last year, says without the financial injection from his "gentlemen's club" he will be unable to continue his intensive training for the London Games.
"There is no point me going to the Olympics to make up the numbers if I go I want to be a medal contender," Campbell told the local TVNZ network.
The 23-year-old, who finished in the top 16 in Beijing after losing his first match, says he needs to raise $190,000 over the next two years.
But his brothel business has upset his sport's national governing body, which says it could hurt his chances of competing.
"It may be unlikely that he will be selected because of his involvement," Taekwondo New Zealand's Secretary General Matt Ransom said.
Campbell insists he should be entitled to compete as his Auckland business does not violate New Zealand liberal laws on prostitution.
"This is perfectly legal, so I do not see why I would wreck my chances," he said, adding that if people had other ideas how to raise the cash, he would be willing to consider them.
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- Donald Trump Says He Will Win General Elections
- Hillary Clinton Says She Will No Longer Respond to Donald Trump
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha's take on 3rd US Presidential Debate between Trump and Hillary
- Jio MAMI 2016: When Aishwarya Rai Made Newcomer Anushka Sharma Feel at Home
- Jio MAMI 2016: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Will Be Like a Therapy for Unrequited Love, Says Karan Johar
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about Anurag Khashyap's tweet over ADHM
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
From Our Network
- Samajwadi Party LIVE: Mulayam Singh Yadav expels Ram Gopal for 6 years from party; Shivpal Yadav says he conspired with BJP- FirstPost
- This co-operative society manager with Rs 8,000 salary is a crorepati - Pradesh18
- Boy tied to pole, mercilessly beaten for stealing cigarettes from a shop - Pradesh18