Olympics: Australia beat Spain in men's hockey
Australia overwhelmed Spain 5-0 in men's field hockey at the London Olympics on Wednesday.
London: Australia overwhelmed Spain 5-0 in men's field hockey at the London Olympics on Wednesday, turning what was expected to be a close match into a rout.
Australia has now scored 11 goals without conceding in its two wins on the blue artificial turf of the Riverside Arena and sits atop Group A.
Mink van der Weerden scored twice as the Netherlands beat Belgium 3-1 for its second win of the tournament to go top of Group B.
Despite the two wins, the Dutch are not yet happy with their form in London.
"We have to fix the little things, the little things that go wrong," he said. "I have not got a real reason. Sometimes we have to trap the ball twice, or the pass goes just behind, but we'll be all right."
Pakistan registered its first win of the London Games by beating Argentina 2-0, thanks to penalty corners either side of halftime.
Britain took an early lead against South Africa in their Group A match through Ashley Jackson's corner. South Africa looked to have stolen the win with two goals inside five minutes by Austin Smith and Jonathan Robinson, but Jackson secured a draw by scoring his second with less than three minutes left to play.
Britain almost snatched a win but South Africa goalkeeper Erasmus Pieterse saved a last minute penalty corner.
"It was very exciting," Pieterse said. "I saved the penalty corner with my left arm. It hit me right there."
Five different players got on the score sheet for Australia, which took a 3-0 lead into half time and then added two more after the break, including a last minute corner by Eddie Ockenden.
New Zealand handed India its second straight defeat, rallying from a goal down to win 3-1.
In the day's last match, defending champion Germany was playing South Korea in a match between two teams that won their first games.
- Kohli Has Strong Basics, is a Complete Batsman: Laxman
- NZ Captain Hit By Bug Ahead of India Test
- New Zealand Take Tips From Ganguly Ahead of 2nd Test
- Virat Kohli Plays Down his Personal Form
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Watch: Big5@10 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- Watch: India @9 With Zakka Jacob
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18