Olympics: Boxer Devendro storms into quarters
The pocket-sized dynamo from Manipur outclassed his superior Mongolian rival 16-11 in the pre-quarterfinals.
London: Indian boxer Laishram Devendro Singh stunned 2008 Beijing Games silver medallist Serdamba Purevdorj of Mongolia to storm into the quarter-finals of the men's light-fly weight(49kg) category at the London Olympics, here on Saturday.
The pocket-sized dynamo from Manipur outclassed his superior Mongolian rival 16-11 in the pre-quarterfinals at the ExCel arena and put himself one win away from a bronze medal.
Devendro started from where he left in his opening bout and kept Purevdorj under pressure by adopting aggressive attitude from the word go.
Devendro was quick with his footwork and also displayed fast hands, which his fourth seeded Mongolian found hard to handle as he was brought down to the canvas twice in the bout by the Indian.
With some quick left and right punches, Devendro seized the early initiative by taking a 4-3 lead in the opening round.
Devendro continued the onslaught in the second round and manged to bring his opponent down to the canvas with a combination of powerful left and right punches.
A stunned Purevdorj, the 2009 World Champion, seemed to have ran out of steam as Devendro pocketed the second round 4-2 to widen the lead over his opponent.
Devendro was in furious mood as within 60 seconds of the third round the Mongolian was given a standing count by the referee, coutesy a powerful straight punch from Devendro.
Even though Purevdorj regained his composure and scored a few late points, but it was not enough as the 20-year-old Indian clinched a comfortable victory to book his place in the last-eight round of the competition.
Devendro will now face Paddy Barnes of Ireland in next round and a win there will guarantee him and India another bronze medal.
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal From Ministry, Mulayam Camp Expels Ram Gopal
- No Mercy: Stage Set For Big Showdown Between Mulayam and Akhilesh Camps
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- CM's Prerogative, Says Congress on Sacking of 4 UP Ministers
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
- Gaya Road Rage: Patna High Court Grants Bail to Suspended JD(U) Councillor's Son