Olympics: Kumar, Narang to be given cash awards
Kumar won a silver in the 25m rapid fire pistol event, whereas Narang bagged a bronze in the 10m air rifle event.
New Delhi: The National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) on Wednesday, announced cash awards of Rs 20 lakh to London Olympics silver medallist Vijay Kumar and Rs 15 lakh to bronze winner Gagan Narang for bringing laurels to the country in the mega event.
While Kumar clinched a silver in the 25m rapid fire pistol event, Narang bagged a bronze in the 10m air rifle competition at the Royal Artillery Barracks in London, the venue for shooting events.
"President Raninder Singh has announced cash awards to Shri Vinay Kumar (Rs 20 lakh) and Shri Gagan Narang (Rs 15 lakh) for winning medals in Olympics. Cheques will be handed over to the winners in a function, which will be organised shortly by NRAI," the association said in a statement.
Kumar arrived here early in the morning today to a rousing reception accorded by his employers Indian Army, while Narang checked into the Mumbai airport last night following which he left for Pune where his academy, 'Gun for Glory', is based.
National coach Sunny Thomas informed PTI that all the 11 shooters have left from London, though not everyone is home-bound.
It was learnt that Beijing Games gold medallist Abhinav Bindra, trap shooters Ronjan Sodhi and Manavjit Singh Sandhu have left for Italy after drawing a blank in their events at the quadrennial extravaganza.
- India Conducted Surgical Strikes Across LoC, Caused Heavy Casualties: DGMO
- India Launched Surgical Strikes Across LoC, Heavy Casualties Inflicted: DGMO
- Four Member Countries Boycott SAARC Summit In Islamabad
- PM To Review Pakistan's Most Favoured Nation Status Today
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resigns as England Manager
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away