Olympics: Manipuris pray for Mary Kom, Devendro
Manipuri people prayed for the success of both the boxers by walking through the streets with placards in hand.
Imphal: With boxer MC Mary Kom poised to fight for silver medal in the London Olympics Wednesday evening, a large number of people in northeast Indian Manipur state prayed for her success in temples and churches all over the state.
Many supporters walked through the streets of the capital and elsewhere with placards in hand and praying for her and another boxer from Manipur, Devendro Singh's success in the 49kg class quarterfinal bout.
"I pray to God at the temple before and after the game of Mary Kom," said her first boxing coach Ibomcha Singh, expressing confidence that Mary would do well in the remaining two bouts.
Singh said Mary appeared to be tense in the beginning of her fights, but got back her nerves thereafter.
Reports from some parts of the state said sports lovers and supporters of the two boxers prayed before temples and churches by offering flowers.
Manipur Chief Minister Ibobi Singh also prayed for Mary's success.
"Let us pray for her golden victory," he said and declared that the government would soon announce the amount of money to be awarded to the successful state players at the Olympics.
While Mary will meet Nicola Adams of Great Britain in the semifinals, Devendro will fight against Paddy Barnes of Ireland.
Different civil society groups, including students' bodies, have appealed to the state electricity department to supply uninterrupted power during the matches of the two boxers.
Family members of Mary Kom here said they were watching the television when she was fighting in the earlier bouts.
Mary, who will soon be promoted to the rank of additional superintendent of police in the Manipur police department, hails from interior Churachandpur district.
- Kohli Has Strong Basics, is a Complete Batsman: Laxman
- NZ Captain Hit By Bug Ahead of India Test
- New Zealand Take Tips From Ganguly Ahead of 2nd Test
- Virat Kohli Plays Down his Personal Form
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Watch: Big5@10 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- Watch: India @9 With Zakka Jacob
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18