One killed, 25 injured in clash over Posco road
Anti-Posco brigade and workers of a private contractor clashed over construction of a coastal road.
Paradip: A man was killed and 25 others were injured on Wednesday in a clash between anti-Posco brigade and a private contractor over construction of a coastal road linking the steel plant site near Paradip.
Jagatsinghpur SP S Devadutt Singh said crude bombs and other weapons were used by the clashing groups and a person, identified as Dijabar Swain (30) of Kujanga area, died in the violence.
Two others, who went missing for some time after the clash, have been found and both are safe, he said.
While 15 injured belonged to Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS), the deceased and 10 others had been engaged by the contractor, police said.
No arrest had been made so far and investigation was on, Singh said adding two complaints had been received from both sides.
The clash took place a day after the contractor, awarded the road construction work by Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation, resumed work for the 10-km controversial coastal road from Mahal near IOCL refinery to the proposed Posco site with hi-tech machines after 90 days, police said.
PPSS and local villagers had been opposing the coastal road project since long.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 3310 to be Launched Under Rs 5000: Here's How it Will Look
- Football Legend Pele's Son to Serve Drug-related Prison Sentence
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Akshay Kumar Vouches For Ayurveda, Urges People To Respect It
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines