Order on French diplomat's bail plea reserved
The French diplomat has been arrested in Bangalore on charges of raping his four-year old daughter.
Bangalore: A court in Bangalore on Monday held in-camera hearing on the bail application of a French diplomat, arrested on charges of raping his four-year old daughter, and posted it to July 23 for orders.
During the 40-minute-long in-camera proceedings held by Fast Track Court Judge G R Patil, counsel for Pascal Mazurier, Deputy Head of Chancery in the Consulate of France here, claimed diplomatic immunity for the accused, sources said.
Besides Pascal's counsel Mahesh, Public Prosecutor Ravindra, the Investigating Officer (IO) and the Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Devaraj submitted their arguments during the proceedings.
Earlier, the Judge accepted a plea by the public prosecutor that as per the Supreme Court direction in case of sexual abuse of minors, proceedings should be conducted in-camera as the victim is a girl child.
The IO objected to granting bail to the accused putting forth three new grounds and further sought time till the police got their clarifications on the DNA test report from the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) in Bangalore.
The court also directed the police and the prosecution to submit the clarification report as early as possible.
On July 9, counsel for the accused had filed additional grounds in the bail application stating there was a "mismatch" between the samples of the accused and the victim as per the DNA test report which he produced before the court.
A magisterial court on July 3 had extended by 14 days the judicial custody of Mazurier, arrested on June 19 on the basis of a complaint filed by his Indian wife Suja Jones, a native of Kerala, alleging that he had raped their daughter.
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
- Indus Treaty: How India Can Use Existing Provisions to Send a Message to Pakistan
- Mirzya New Trailer is All About Love, Passion and Music
- Indus Waters Treaty: India to Use Water as Weapon to Fight Pakistan
- Xiaomi Mi5s, Mi 5s Plus Smartphones Powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 SoCs Launched in China
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Top 5: 4G Smartphones Under Rs 10,000; Is Xiaomi Still The King?
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test