Orissa minister resigns over scam
Pramilla Mallik resigned over a scandal involving irregularities in the supply of pulses to children.
Bhubaneswar: Orissa's Women and Child Development Minister Pramila Mallick today resigned in the wake of allegation of a Rs 700-crore scam in purchase of dal for mid-day meal scheme and Supplementary Nutrition Programme
"I have tendered my resignation on my own on moral grounds for the interest of the BJD party and to keep the clean image of the government intact," Mallick told reporters after putting in her papers following a meeting with Chief
Minister Naveen Patnaik.
Her department was the nodal agency through which dal was being given to about 9.5 million beneficiaries including 5 million school children. "It is a sacrifice for the BJD and the party government. I am not afraid of any probe," she said and claimed she was a victim of conspiracy.
The Chief Minister said he has forwarded Mallick's resignation to the Governor for acceptance. Action was being taken against former collectors of Deogarh and Mayurbhanj districts Ambika Mishra and P K Meherda respectively on the same issue, Patnaik said, adding "Whosoever is found guilty, action will be taken."
Claiming that there was no pressure on her to resign, Mallick said she met the chief minister this morning and conveyed her desire to step down to prevent people from pointing fingers at the government "though state vigilance
wing has given her a clean chit".
"Subsequently I sent my resignation letter," she said. Mallick, who had been a minister since 2004, claimed that she was waiting for the report of the vigilance department before quitting. "Vigilance has given me a clean
chit but I have stepped down on moral grounds." The BJD government had come under attack from opposition Congress and BJP in the wake of multi-crore dal
scam detected by the vigilance wing in the purchase of pulses for MDM and SNP meant for children and women.
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- The Camps: Split Wide Open in UP's First Family, Who Stands Where
- UP CM Akhilesh Yadav Dumps Shivpal Yadav, Three other ministers
- Akhilesh-Shivpal Supporters Clash Ahead of Crucial SP Meet
- Mulayam Singh Explores Political Possibilities Amid Challenges Posed By Akhilesh
- Samajwadi Party Live: Akhilesh Yadav Breaks Down During Speech, Blames Amar Singh For Rift
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal From Ministry, Mulayam Camp Expels Ram Gopal