Oriya gets its due in neighbouring state
BHUBANESWAR: Leader of the NCP in the Assembly Amar Prasad Satpathy has thanked the Jharkhand government for making Oriya a second..
BHUBANESWAR: Leader of the NCP in the Assembly Amar Prasad Satpathy has thanked the Jharkhand government for making Oriya a second official language.
The Jharkhand Assembly passed a Bill in this regard on Saturday. Satpathy said the Bill was passed in the Assembly without any opposition. This will greatly help in making Oriya stronger in Jharkhand, Satpathy said and added this is for the first time Oriya has become a second official language in another state.
He, however, said making Oriya second language is not sufficient for the people residing in outlying tracts of Sareikala and Kharsuan. He said the Linguistic Minority Committee of the Assembly, headed by Speaker Pradip Amat, should visit the areas to take stock of the condition of the Oriya people residing there. BJP State president Jual Oram has also patted Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda for the gesture. In a statement, Oram said this has fulfilled a long-standing demand of the Oriya people.
MLAs cutting across partylines had demanded in the Monsoon Session of the Orissa Assembly that the Jharkhand government be requested to accord second official language status to Oriya and a resolution passed in the House in this regard.
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Bigg Boss 10: Antara Biswas Wants to Grab Salman Khan's Attention