Oscar Pistorius in deep mourning, 'certainly not suicidal'
The 26-year-old double amputee was earlier said by a friend to be "on the verge of suicide" as he fights a charge of premeditated murder of his girlfriend.
Johannesburg: Paralympic sprint champion Oscar Pistorius is in deep mourning after killing his girlfriend on Valentine's Day, but is "certainly not suicidal" his family said on Tuesday. "Oscar, broken as he currently is, believes he has a purpose in life and is working towards that. Media reports to the contrary are untrue," said his uncle Arnold Pistorius.
The 26-year-old double amputee was earlier said by a friend to be "on the verge of suicide" as he fights a charge of premeditated murder for shooting dead Reeva Steenkamp at his Pretoria home.
According to a close friend, the sprinter's state of mind had worsened since he was tasked with selling his racehorses to raise money to pay for his spiralling legal fees. "I would say that, just speaking to him, that he is a broken man and that I would go as far to say that he would be on the verge of suicide. It really worries me," the friend Mike Azzie told an upcoming BBC3 documentary.
In a statement, the Pistorius family said it did not deny that "Oscar's legal expenses are massive and that he has sold off some of his investments, including his racehorses".
But it said that the costs will be evaluated on "a day-to-day basis" and decisions then made. Earlier, a family spokesman said Pistorius was planning to sell the luxury home in a gated community where he shot Steenkamp through a locked bathroom door on Valentine's Day.
"He has signalled his intention to sell (the house), but nothing has been done pro-actively to start the process," family spokesman Johan van Wyk told the SAPA news agency.
The 26-year-old is out on bail and last week lodged a notice of appeal against his release conditions before he returns to court in June.
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- 90% Apple Lightning-to-USB Cables Sold on Amazon, Groupon Are Fake
- Timeline of Criminal Defamation Case Filed Against Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Akhilesh Will Be CM, Ready to Give it in Writing on Stamp Paper, Says an Emotional Shivpal
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- Akhilesh Targeted By Stepmother, Black Magic Used: SP MLC
- Akhilesh Yadav Is The Undisputed Leader Of The Party In The State, Says SP Leader Madhukar Jetley
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18