Over 10 crore mobiles shipped to India in Jan-Jun
The total number of smartphones shipped during the period was 55 lakh units.
New Delhi: Mobile phones shipment to India during the first-half of 2012 crossed 10 crore units, registering a growth of 16.6 per cent over the same period over the previous year, according CyberMedia Research (CMR).
"During January-June 2012, the total India shipment of mobile handsets was recorded at 102.43 million units (10.24 crore)," CMR said in its report.
The total number of smartphones shipped during the period was 55 lakh units. Nokia has 22.2 per cent share in the overall shipments, followed by Samsung at 13 per cent. In smartphone category, Samsung's share is 41.6 per cent, followed by Nokia and Blackberry handsets maker Research-In-Motion with 19.2 per cent and 12.1 per cent, respectively.
CMR's Lead Analyst for Telecoms Practice Faisal Kawoosa said the first-half of calendar year 2012 witnessed high-decibel launch of phones like Samsung Galaxy S III, HTC One X and second half of 2012 continues to see launch of a number of high value smartphone models such as the Nokia Lumia 910, Samsung Galaxy Note II and the Apple iPhone 5.
"This push from vendors and the increasing maturity of the India mobile subscriber community is expected to further push up smartphones as a proportion of total mobile handset shipments in the country in the next few quarters," Kawoosa said.
As per this report, Google's Android platform dominated among mobile operating system, with 56.4 per cent share, followed by Nokia's Symbian at 17.4 per cent share, Blackberry 12.1 per cent, Bada 8.5 per cent, Apple's iOS 3 per cent and Windows mobile phone with 2.6 per cent.
According to CMR, the total mobile phone shipments for sales in India market was 18.3 crore units by end of 2011.
- Philippines' Duterte Sparking Distress Around the World, Says US
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- No One Needs to Give Proof of Their Patriotism, Says CBFC Chief Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Controversy: Shabana Azmi slams Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis
- Samajwadi Party is United, No Rift Family: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Mulayam Singh Jealous of Akhilesh Yadav's Popularity: Ram Gopal Yadav
- Everything is Fine in Samajwadi Party, Says Shivpal Singh Yadav
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead