Over 8000 eunuchs received Aadhaar numbers in 2012
Only 96 Aadhaar numbers were issued to eunuchs in 2010.
New Delhi: 8,805 eunuchs living across the country were issued Aadhaar numbers in 2012 by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). Only 96 Aadhaar numbers were issued to eunuchs in 2010.
The figure rose to 12,554 in 2011, the UIDAI said in reply to an RTI query. Over ten crore such numbers were issued to individuals between January and October 9 in 2012 by the authority, it said.
The UIDAI launched the Aadhaar scheme in 2010 with a mandate to issue every citizen a 12-digit unique identification number linked to the resident's demographic and biometric information. People can use their Aadhaar numbers to identify themselves anywhere in the country as well as to access a host of benefits and services.
About 7.71 lakh Aadhaar numbers were issued in 2010, 10.21 crore in 2011 and 10.19 crore in 2012 (till Oct 9), the reply said. The UIDAI was also facing a manpower crunch as nearly 40 per cent posts of its total sanctioned strength of 383 were lying vacant.
"The total sanctioned strength of UIDAI is 383. Out of 383, 230 officers or staff are in place. Appointment for remaining vacancies is in progress," the authority said in reply to an RTI query. The UIDAI, which acts as an attached office of the Planning Commission, has also paid Rs 51.90 lakh as emoluments to four consultants engaged by it between 2011 and 2012 for various purposes.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Nach Baliye 8: Judges to Contestants; Everything That You Need to Know About The Show
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1