Over 8000 eunuchs received Aadhaar numbers in 2012
Only 96 Aadhaar numbers were issued to eunuchs in 2010.
New Delhi: 8,805 eunuchs living across the country were issued Aadhaar numbers in 2012 by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). Only 96 Aadhaar numbers were issued to eunuchs in 2010.
The figure rose to 12,554 in 2011, the UIDAI said in reply to an RTI query. Over ten crore such numbers were issued to individuals between January and October 9 in 2012 by the authority, it said.
The UIDAI launched the Aadhaar scheme in 2010 with a mandate to issue every citizen a 12-digit unique identification number linked to the resident's demographic and biometric information. People can use their Aadhaar numbers to identify themselves anywhere in the country as well as to access a host of benefits and services.
About 7.71 lakh Aadhaar numbers were issued in 2010, 10.21 crore in 2011 and 10.19 crore in 2012 (till Oct 9), the reply said. The UIDAI was also facing a manpower crunch as nearly 40 per cent posts of its total sanctioned strength of 383 were lying vacant.
"The total sanctioned strength of UIDAI is 383. Out of 383, 230 officers or staff are in place. Appointment for remaining vacancies is in progress," the authority said in reply to an RTI query. The UIDAI, which acts as an attached office of the Planning Commission, has also paid Rs 51.90 lakh as emoluments to four consultants engaged by it between 2011 and 2012 for various purposes.
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- After Cross-LoC Strikes, Indian High Commissioner Summoned By Pakistan
- Rupee Good Run Continues, Gains 3 Paise Against Dollar
- Force 2 Poster: John Abraham Returns as a Tough, Intense Cop
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18