Oz PM to get more salary than Obama and Cameron
The salary of Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard is set to overshoot by $ 90,000.
Melbourne: Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard will get more salary than US President Barack Obama and the UK Prime Minister David Cameron, as the country's Remuneration Tribunal has decided in favour of increasing the wage of the MPs.
The salary of Gillard is set to overshoot by $ 90,000 making her total wages exceed even US president Barack Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron salaries, a media report said.
After a review, the independent Remuneration Tribunal has decided for increasing federal MPs' salaries in decades. The base salary for the politicians is likely to jump steeply and even the most junior parliamentarian will jump from $
140,000 to at least $ 180,000, 'The Courier Mail' reported.
Sources said the tribunal's decision would increase the current base salary for MPs of $ 140,910 to at least $ 180,000 and possibly more.
Meanwhile, the Government could face a public backlash to the pay deal particularly after announcing a series of budget cuts, including reducing the baby bonus and plans to slash public service spending.
The boost in pay will mean the Prime Minister, who is paid a loading of 160 per cent, will get at least $ 470,000.
Gillard will earn more than the US President, who is paid about $ 400,000, and Cameron, whose salary is about $ 221,000.
Recommended For You
- Stand Up Comedian Accuses The Kapil Sharma Show of Plagiarising His Joke
- New Maruti Suzuki DZire to Launch on May 16; Will No Longer Have 'Swift' in its Name
- Sonakshi Sinha, Armaan Malik Engage in War of Words Over Actors Taking Over Singers' Domain
- IPL 2017: This is Why Kohli Was Furious After Getting Dismissed
- Meet Jackie Shroff's Daughter Krishna, Who Can Give Bollywood Actresses a Run For Their Money