Aamir, Rahman among 130 Padma Awardees
Thirteen foreigners, NRIs and people of Indian origin were also awarded.
New Delhi: The Government on Monday announced 130 Padma awards, including six Padma Vibhushans, the country's second highest civilian honour, for Nobel laureate Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, Apollo hospital chief Prathap Chandra Reddy and former RBI Governor Y Venugopal Reddy, as also three personalities from the world of art.
Bollywood superstar Aamir Khan and music maestros A R Rahman and Ilaiyaaraa Raja and noted cardiac surgeon Ramakant Panda have been awarded the Padma Bhushan, the country's third highest civilian honour. Panda had conducted Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's heart surgery last January.
Thirteen foreigners, NRIs and People of Indian origin were also awarded.
The awards comprise six Padma Vibhushans, 43 Padma Bhushans and 81 Padma Shris, the country's fourth highest civilian award. There are 17 women among the awardees.
The Padma Vibhushan is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service, the Padma Bhushan for distinguished service of a high order and the Padma Shri for distinguished service in any field.
The awards span a range of disciplines and fields of activities including art, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports and civil service.
The awards are conferred by the President at a function held at Rashtrapathi Bhavan around March-April.
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- China Urges India, Pakistan to Cool Down Situation
- Pakistan Briefs P5 Over Unprovoked Firing by India on LoC
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed