Paes in Miami doubles final, Bopanna-Bhupathi out
Paes and Stepanek pulled off an amazing victory over top seeds Bob and Mike Bryan.
Miami: India's Leander Paes and his Czech partner Radek Stepanek pulled off an amazing victory over top seeds Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan to secure their berth in the final of the Sony Ericsson Open. However, Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna crashed out of the tournament in straight sets on Thursday.
Paes is one win away from a third consecutive Sony Ericsson Open doubles title - with three different partners - after he and Stepanek beat the Bryan brothers 6-4, 6-4. Paes won the Miami title last year with compatriot Bhupathi and in 2010 with Lukas Dlouhy.
The Indo-Czech pair had earlier got the better of the American twins when they met in the Australian Open final, and were again in top form in Miami. The Bryans, who faced 11 break points in the match, dropped serve three times and looked totally out of sorts.
Second seeds Max Mirnyi and Daniel Nestor advanced to their third final of the season following a 6-1, 6-4 victory over India's Bhupathi and Bopanna. The Belarusian-Canadian duo, winners in Brisbane and Memphis this year, won 89 percent of points on first serve and saved all six break points they faced to advance in 55 minutes.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Baahubali 2 Motion Poster Indicates Just How Epic the Film Is Going to Be
- Poorna Trailer: Rahul Bose Brings the Story of a Girl who Conquered Everest
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology