Pak A-G turns abusive in Supreme Court
Irfan Qadir ridiculed the judges and used abusive remarks against them in the court.
Islamabad: Pakistan Attorney General Irfan Qadir created a ruckus in the courtroom Thursday by using "abusive remarks" against the Supreme Court judges and some "vulgar gesture", Geo News reported.
The incident occurred when the apex court was hearing identical petitions challenging National Assembly Speaker Fehmida Mirza's ruling not to pass on the disqualification reference against Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani to the Election Commission.
On June 6, the court had issued notices to the prime minister, attorney general, National Assembly speaker, the Election Commission and the Federation while hearing petitions.
A three-member bench of the apex court, headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, heard the petitions filed by the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), advocate Azhar Chaudhry and others challenging the speaker's ruling of May 28 that there was no question of prime minister's disqualification.
According to Geo News, Qadir Thursday ridiculed the judges and used abusive remarks against them in the court and continued interrupting the proceedings, while the bench kept reminding him of his position.
Qadir kept repeating how the judges fled soon after announcing Gilani's conviction verdict.
The situation, however, deteriorated after the attorney general used a vulgar gesture that provoked some lawyers. Just as they tried to approach him, security was called in to control the situation.
Senior lawyers present on the occasion in the courtroom intervened to help cool the situation.
As the hearing proceeded, the chief justice remarked that everyone here had the right to speak and Qadir and lawyer Aitzaz Ahsan were their colleagues. "Masses will compare us with some other people if we do not maintain decorum in the courtroom."
- Indo-Pak matches filled with emotions, Says Pakistan Hockey Coach Khawaja Junaid
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorist Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 2nd Test, Day 2 in Abu Dhabi
- Pakistan Likely to Announce Name of New Army Chief in a Week
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer