Live TVLive TV
»
2-min read

Tribunal blames cops for attack on Lankan cricketers

News18

First published: April 25, 2009, 4:20 PM IST | Updated: April 25, 2009
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp
Tribunal blames cops for attack on Lankan cricketers
None of the terrorists involved in the attack has been arrested so far

Lahore: A judicial tribunal that probed last month's terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Lahore has concluded that it was caused by "laxity" among police officers guarding the visiting players.

The report of the tribunal headed by Justice Shabbar Raza Rizvi of the Lahore High Court, submitted to the government on Friday said "laxity" on the part of police officers providing security to the team was the "prime cause" for their failure to thwart the attack, official sources told.

Eight persons were killed and over 20 others, including several Sri Lankan players, injured when over a dozen terrorists ambushed the team's motorcade at the busy Liberty traffic roundabout near a stadium here on the third day of the second Test on March 3.

The tribunal's report said police officers had not manned the Sri Lankan team's route to the stadium for the first two days of the Test, sources in the Punjab provincial government said.

Not even a single policeman was deployed on the roofs of buildings near the Liberty roundabout and there was no cordon either.

Officers on duty also did not bother to check the route for three consecutive days, the sources said.

The report also asked the government to implement its recommendations to prevent such attacks in future.

"It is up to the government to take action against those responsible or not," sources quoted the report as saying.

Another report by Additional Inspector General of Police Slahuddin Niazi has already recommended action against Superintendent of Police (VVIP security) Ahsan Younas, SP (Model Town) Raja Abid and SP (Civil Lines) Rai Ijaz for
failing to check the team's route.

The tribunal's findings and recommendations have been sent to federal interior secretary, the Punjab Governor and Chief Minister, and the chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board.

The tribunal started its inquiry on March 24 and recorded the statements of 69 witnesses. It also visited the site of the attack twice and examined video footage of the incident from a private TV channel and CCTV cameras of a store.

None of the terrorists involved in the attack has been arrested so far. Punjab province's former police chief Shaukat
Javed, who retired a few days ago, has claimed that all 13
attackers have been identified. PTI MZ RHL
ETB
04251139 DELHI

The report also asked the government to implement its
recommendations to prevent such attacks in future.
"It is up to the government to take action against
those responsible or not," sources quoted the report as
saying.
Another report by Additional Inspector General of
Police Slahuddin Niazi has already recommended action against
Superintendent of Police (VVIP security) Ahsan Younas, SP
(Model Town) Raja Abid and SP (Civil Lines) Rai Ijaz for
failing to check the team's route.
The tribunal's findings and recommendations have been
sent to federal interior secretary, the Punjab Governor and
Chief Minister, and the chairman of the Pakistan Cricket
Board.
The tribunal started its inquiry on March 24 and
recorded the statements of 69 witnesses. It also visited the
site of the attack twice and examined video footage of the
incident from a private TV channel and CCTV cameras of a
store.
None of the terrorists involved in the attack has been
arrested so far. Punjab province's former police chief Shaukat
Javed, who retired a few days ago, has claimed that all 13
attackers have been identified.

facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp