Pak on alert following Ilyas Kashmiri's killing
The NCMC asked law enforcement agencies to tighten security at military installations.
Islamabad: Pakistani law enforcement agencies have been put on alert in the federal capital and northern parts of the country to prevent possible suicide attacks to avenge the killing of al Qaeda-linked terrorist Ilyas Kashmiri in a US drone attack.
The National Crisis Management Cell (NCMC) of the Interior Ministry sounded a general alert to law enforcement agencies in Islamabad and Punjab and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa provinces after receiving an intelligence report on possible attacks.
The NCMC asked law enforcement agencies to tighten security at military installations and sensitive establishments, the Dawn newspaper quoted its sources as saying.
Kashmiri, the leader of the banned Harkat-ul-Jihad al-Islami was reportedly killed in a US drone strike in South Waziristan on Friday.
The terrorists have plans to launch motorcycle-riding suicide bombers against targets, the report said.
The law enforcement agencies were informed that five to nine Taliban operatives had been sent to Islamabad and Rawalpindi to strike targets.
A Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan operative named Ihsan alias Chhota Ustad has reportedly prepared sketches of the Artillery Centre and Pakistan Ordnance Factory at Sanjwal, as well as routes used by factory workers, for an attack by a sleeper Taliban cell at Tarnol near Islamabad, the daily reported.
The Pakistani Taliban's Wali Mohammad group, which handles the cell in Tarnol, was believed to be behind a string of kidnappings for ransom and a recent attack on the Artillery Centre in Attock.
The group is believed to be led by Waliur Rehman, the deputy commander of the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan based in North Waziristan.
The paramilitary Pakistan Rangers and Frontier Constabulary have put in place measures to protect possible targets and persons associated with them.
The report said the terrorists had plans to replicate the May 22 attack on the PNS Mehran naval airbase in Karachi.
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Shoe Hurled at Rahul Gandhi in UP; He Blames BJP, RSS
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- India Jumps 16 Places in Global Competitiveness Index
- I Pray For Her Long And Healthy Life: PM Modi Wishes Lata Mangeshkar On 87th birthday
- Key Moments From Lata Mangeshkar's Life You May Have Missed
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away