Pak renames Lahore roundabout as Bhagat Singh Chowk
Bhagat Singh was hanged in March 1931 in the erstwhile Lahore Jail, which stood at the spot where the roundabout was built later.
Lahore: Pakistani authorities have renamed a roundabout in the eastern city of Lahore after freedom fighter Bhagat Singh to acknowledge his revolutionary spirit and his role in the movement against the erstwhile British rulers of the subcontinent. The Shadman Chowk of Lahore will now be known as Bhagat Singh Chowk, officials said.
Bhagat Singh was hanged in March 1931 in the erstwhile Lahore Jail, which stood at the spot where the roundabout was built later. While authorities have changed the Hindu names of several places in the old quarters of Lahore over the years, the decision to rename a busy roundabout after Bhagat Singh has been hailed by some local residents as a bold move.
District administration chief Noorul Amin Mengal recently directed the City District Government of Lahore (CDGL) to make arrangements for renaming the roundabout after Bhagat Singh within a week. Mengal admonished CDGL's Chief Publicity Officer Nadeem Gilani for considering another request to rename the roundabout as Chaudhry Rehmat Ali Chowk.
"You know who Bhagat Singh was. He was martyred at this place (Shadman Chowk) after he fought the British by raising a slogan for revolution in the subcontinent," Mengal told
Gilani. He said all Pakistani citizens, including Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus and Christians, had equal rights under the Constitution and no one should object to the decision to rename the roundabout after Bhagat Singh.
Mengal ordered officials to immediately place a board indicating "Bhagat Singh Chowk" at the roundabout and to issue a public notice in the print media for seeking public comments about the move.
- Bird Flu: Threat of Infection to Migratory Birds
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin
- 2nd Test: Pakistan Build Commanding Lead Over West Indies
- Hockey: India's Top 5 Victories Over Pakistan
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: India Prevail 3-2 in Pacy Encounter vs Pakistan
- 'Upbeat West Indies Test side not impacted by bad results'