Pakistan: Man kills fiance, her sister for attending school
The girls' father told police his daughter was engaged with his nephew but the two families developed differences over education of the girl.
Two Pakistani sisters have been killed by the fiance of one of them for going to school despite his objections to her education after engagement in the northwestern tribal region, according to a media report. The incident occurred on Thursday in Mardan district of conservative Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, Dawn newspaper reported.
Father of the slain girls told police that his daughter, Sawera, was engaged with his nephew a few months ago, but the two families developed differences over education of the girl who was studying in class eight. The three assailants, the fiance and his two accomplices, barged into the house in broad daylight and opened indiscriminate firing critically injuring Sawera and killing her sister on the sport. She later died while being shifted to a hospital.
In the backward and remote regions of Pakistan, females are discriminated in education and those insisting to carrying on with schooling may face dire consequences at the hands of their male relatives include brothers and cousins or Islamic militants. In 2012, Malala Yousfzai was attacked and injured with two of her classmates by Taliban in Swat region for advocating the right of education for girls.
Recommended For You
- Porter's Son Thangarasu Natarajan: From Tennis Ball Star to IPL Big Bucks
- Man Purposely Damages Tesla Model S to Save a Life, Gets Compensation
- Kangana, Shahid Promote Rangoon on TKSS: 5 Laugh Out Loud Moments
- Shahid Kapoor's Pre-Birthday Bash: Deepika, Alia, Katrina steal the show
- IPL 2017: Hyderabad Pacer Siraj Says "Want to Take Virat Kohli's Wicket"