Pakistan's future lies in democracy: Gilani
Gilani also said the government has made significant strides in fighting terrorism.
Islamabad: Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani said on Sunday that Pakistan's future lies in democracy and that parliament, the judiciary and the executive were on the same page to consolidate the country's democratic institutions.
In his message on Pakistan's 65th Independence Day, he also said the country has successfully taken on the challenge of terrorism and extremism in line with its national interest and global commitments, APP reported.
Gilani said as Pakistanis celebrate Independence Day with traditional zeal and zest, the country was up against multiple challenges.
He said the government has made significant strides in fighting terrorism.
He also said Pakistan was passing through a "defining phase" with many positive developments in the country.
The nation and its security forces have rendered huge sacrifices to protect the national identity and preserve the sovereignty of Pakistan against all odds, the prime minister stated.
"If we forge unity in our ranks, there is no reason why we cannot surmount the current challenges in line with the vision of (Pakistan's founder) Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah," he added.
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma Explain Why Working With Karan Johar is Special
- MNS Defiant Despite Rajnath's Assurance to Bollywood: Time to Arrest Raj Thackeray?
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- Bigg Boss 10: Antara Biswas Wants to Grab Salman Khan's Attention
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18