Parents seek permission to sell their kidneys
The parents of a teenager in Kanpur have asked a local court to permit them to sell their kidneys so that they can raise the money needed for his treatment.
Kanpur: The parents of an ill teenager in Kanpur have asked a local court to permit them to sell their kidneys so that they can raise the money needed for his treatment.
Anuj Behl, 14, has aplastic anemia - a disorder in which the body does not produce new blood cells. He needs a bone marrow transplant - that and other medical attention that he needs could cost up to 25 lakhs, say doctors.
"We don't even have enough to eat. We appeal to our countrymen to help us save our son's life," said Sangeeta Behl, mother.
Anuj's father is a scooter mechanic and the only earning member of his family of five.
The son's treatment has literally driven them out on the streets. Every valuable in the house sold, the two daughters are forced to beg and polish shoes.
"Every month we have to arrange 6-7 bottles of blood for him," said Manish Behl, father.
In court today, the government said it has deposited 1.5 lakhs for Anuj's treatment at the Sanjay Gandhi PGI Hospital in Lucknow - a baffling attempt at help because this hospital reportedly does not have the expertise to treat aplastic anaemia.
"The state government has deposited Rs. 1.5 lakh at the Sanjay Gandhi PGI Hospital in Lucknow and will give more financial support if required," District Magistrate Mukesh Meshram said.
The court is expected to hear Anuj's parents' appeal on the 26th of this month.
How You Can Help
Should you want to donate to this family, you can send a cheque in the name of:
Punjab National Bank
For more information, contact Maneesh Behl at 092358-31083
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
- India to Reclaim Top Spot If They Win Kolkata Test Against New Zealand
- Cheteshwar Pujara's Kanpur Transformation Augurs Well for Team India
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Trump Says Debate Microphone Was 'Defective'
- Lisa Haydon Just Announced Her Marriage to Boyfriend Dino Lalvani
- Samsung Execs Meet DGCA Officials Over Galaxy Note 2 IndiGo Fire Incident
- I Will Release My Tax Returns When Clinton Releases Deleted Emails, Says Trump