GET Stock QuotesNews18 APP
News18 English
LIVE NOW
auto-refresh

Parliament Monsoon Session: Both Houses Adjourned For The Day

News18.com | July 18, 2017, 3:39 PM IST
facebook Twitter google skype
The opposition parties went all-out against the BJP during the Monsoon Session of Parliament, claiming that the party is 'spreading communalism'. Having walked out of the Rajya Sabha, Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati said that she has decided to resign from the upper house as she was not allowed to raise her issues, which included the 'atrocities on Dalits' in Uttar Pradesh. Meanwhile, the BJP's Vice-Presidential pick, Venkaiah Naidu filed his nomination for the post. He was accompanied by PM Narendra Modi, BJP president Amit Shah and other party leaders.

As it happened:
Jul 18, 2017 3:08 pm (IST)

Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day after unabated opposition protest over lynchings, farmers' plight.

Jul 18, 2017 2:19 pm (IST)

Click to Read | Mayawati Storms Out of Rajya Sabha to Reclaim Dalit Space

Ambedkar resigned as he sought to organize the Dalits and the downtrodden before the first general elections. BSP, on the other hand, has been tried and tested by the electorate many times over.

Jul 18, 2017 2:14 pm (IST)

Rajya Sabha adjourned till 3pm

Jul 18, 2017 2:13 pm (IST)

Prakash Javadekar says he is ready for discussion but opposition is running away

Jul 18, 2017 2:09 pm (IST)

Ruckus in Rajya Sabha, Opposition enters well of the house

Jul 18, 2017 2:07 pm (IST)

Want discussion on many issues, says Derek O’Brien, TMC MP in Rajya Sabha

Jul 18, 2017 2:03 pm (IST)

Rajya Sabha resumes

Jul 18, 2017 1:58 pm (IST)

BJP Parliamentary Party meeting to be held tomorrow at Parliament.

Jul 18, 2017 1:05 pm (IST)

Lok Sabha adjourned till tomorrow over noisy protests by Opposition

The Lok Sabha was adjourned soon after it met for the second time following uproar in the House over several issues, including farmers' plight and cow slaughter. The opposition raked up several issues to target the government as soon as the House met for the day and took up the Question Hour. Members of the Congress, Trinamool Congress, RJD and the Left rushed into the Well raising slogans and holding placards.

Jul 18, 2017 12:58 pm (IST)

Congress MP Renuka Chaudhary backs Mayawati

Jul 18, 2017 12:41 pm (IST)

Angry Mayawati says she'll quit Rajya Sabha

Mayawati, whose term in the Upper House is till April next year, argued with Kurien saying how can she be prevented from raising the issue about her 'samaj' (community) and the Dalits. "I have not finished. You cannot do this."

"I have no moral right to be in the House if I am not allowed to put across my views on atrocities being committed against Dalits," she said.

"I am going to resign from the house," she said and walked out of the House in a huff.

Jul 18, 2017 12:36 pm (IST)

Venkaiah Naidu further said, “Painful to leave the party, feeling emotional at this juncture. Lost my mother at a very young age, treated my party as my mother and they brought me up to this level.”

He resigned as Urban Development and Information and Broadcasting minister hours before he filed his nomination papers. “I have resigned from Council of Ministers, conveyed to Prime Minister and sent a letter too last night, ” said Venkaiah Naidu.

Jul 18, 2017 12:26 pm (IST)

Honored to be a candidate for Vice President of India. I have been actively engaged in public life for over four decades. Office of Vice President is a different profile, has its functional norms. Hope I will be able to do justice. Grateful to all BJP leaders and PM Narendra Modi and leaders of other parties for supporting me. India's strength and beauty lies in Parliamentary democratic system. It will be my endeavor to strengthen that further: Venkaiah Naidu

Jul 18, 2017 12:19 pm (IST)

Lok Sabha adjourned for the day after continued Opposition protests over several issues

Jul 18, 2017 12:06 pm (IST)

Rajya Sabha has been adjourned till 2 pm amid ruckus

Jul 18, 2017 12:05 pm (IST)

Mayawati said when she is not allowed to raise the issue of Dalit atrocities in the House then it is better that she resigns

Jul 18, 2017 12:02 pm (IST)

What is the use of me being in Rajya Sabha when I cannot speak...If BJP thinks a Dalit candidate will attract Dalit vote. They won't get a single vote not even in their dreams, says BSP supremo Mayawati

Jul 18, 2017 11:56 am (IST)

Maha gunda raj is going on in Uttar Pradesh...No one is safe there... I was asked to speak for 3 mins in the House... I told the House that this is not a Zero hour, I can speak for more than 3 mins...Parliament is for the welfare of the peopleThe speaker didnt allow me to speak for more than three minutes, says Mayawati

Jul 18, 2017 11:53 am (IST)

DM, SSP were denied entry into Shahranpur by the party workers, alleges Mayawati

Jul 18, 2017 11:50 am (IST)

There were atrocities against Dalits in Saharanpur but the government was a mere bystander. When we asked for permission to visit. We were denied, citing a helipad issue. Then, we wrote to the authorities seeking permission to go by road, says Mayawati...She further sadi there have been rise in the cases of atrocities against Dalits. In Hyderabad, there was the Rohith Vemula case, then there were incidents over cow in Gujarat. The situation is worsening and the downtrodden are being overlooked.

Jul 18, 2017 11:48 am (IST)

BSP supremo Mayawati has decided to resign from Rajya Sabha.

"I will resign from Rajya Sabha. I was not allowed to speak in the House," says Mayawati

Jul 18, 2017 11:33 am (IST)

Rajya Sabha adjourned till 12 afternoon.

Jul 18, 2017 11:32 am (IST)

The Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha, Ghulam Nabi Azad, said all issues should be discussed in the House and the government must ensure it.  “All issues such as lynching, farmer deaths, Dalit atrocities need to be discussed in the Rajya Sabha. The ruling party should ensure that  these issues are discussed,” he said.

Jul 18, 2017 11:25 am (IST)

Opposition raising slogans against the Narendra Modi government over atrocities against Dalits in Rajya Sabha. Disrupt proceedings.

Jul 18, 2017 11:21 am (IST)

Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi in Rajya Sabha

Mayavati is frustrated due to her loss in UP. This is an insult to the chair. She should apologise for challenging the chair.

Jul 18, 2017 11:16 am (IST)

Mayawati leaves the House saying she is not being allowed to raise the issue of her community.

Jul 18, 2017 11:16 am (IST)

Mayawati on Atrocities on Dalit

BSP MP Mayawati raises Saharanpur Dalit-Thakur violence issue in Rajya Sabha. She threatening to resign, saying she is not being allowed to speak in the House. “I will come and give my resignation right now, if I am not allowed to speak right now," the BSP chief said. She lost her cool as the Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha PJ Kurien asked her to form the Motion and cut short the lengthy explanation.

Jul 18, 2017 11:09 am (IST)

Ruckus in Rajya Sabha over farmer's issue

Jul 18, 2017 11:09 am (IST)

Lok Sabha adjourned till 12 noon following uproar over several issues, including farmers' plight and cow slaughter.

Jul 18, 2017 10:57 am (IST)

Two bills will be placed before the Rajya Sabha for deliberation and debate are Whistle Blowers Protection (Amendment) Bill, 2015, Admiralty (Jurisdiction and Settlement of Maritime Claims) bill, 2017.

Load More