Party feuds give me sleepless nights, says Karunanidhi
The DMK chief said Palanimanickam had called on him to explain the reasons behind making such statements to the media.
Chennai: Upset over internal rivalry among party leaders, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Monday said such factional feuds made him "sleepless" as these affected the party.
"When I go to sleep, such factional feuds engulf me and makes me sleepless," he said, referring to the turf war between DMK leaders TR Baalu and SS Palanimanickam, a Minister of State for Finance. Palanimanickam, who represents Thanjavur parliamentary constituency, said on Saturday that Baalu was trying to take credit for projects in his constituency.
The 47-km Thanjavur-Pattukottai railway line and the 42-km Mannargudi-Pattukottai rail project, for which a survey is being conducted, appear to have become the bone of contention between Palanimanickam and Baalu, who is also Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Railways.
Noting that Palanimanickam had met him two days ago and explained to him what was happening in his constituency, Karunanidhi said he had advised him to give it in writing to the party leadership. "What is the hurry? Why this interview?... What am I here for? Why do we have a party leadership?" 89-year-old Karunanidhi asked, apparently pulling up Palanimanickam, who openly aired his feelings in Thanjavur.
In an emotional letter to the cadres, in the party organ 'Murasoli,' Karunanidhi asked, "What can the party cadre do except shed tears in blood, when two senior leaders enjoying party positions fight in the open?"
The DMK chief said Palanimanickam had called on him and other senior leaders in Chennai on Sunday night to explain the reasons behind making such statements to the media. Karunanidhi said party cadres should maintain discipline.
- Watch: The News That Wasn't With Cyrus Broacha
- UN Chief Condemns Terror Attack on Police Academy in Quetta
- Tata Sons Appoints Ralf Speth, N Chandrasekaran on Board
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle
- Uri Attack: JuD Claims Responsibility For The Terror Assault, Pak Under Pressure
- US Asks Pakistan to Act Against Terror Groups Who Seek to Attack Neighbours
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out
- Pakistan Selectors Name Unchanged Squad for 3rd Test Against West Indies