Pastor, church attacked in Uttar Pradesh
A group of people vandalised a church and assaulted the pastor, accusing him of carrying out forceful conversions.
Lucknow: A group of people vandalised a church and assaulted the pastor, accusing him of carrying out forceful conversions in Uttar Pradesh's Kanpur district, police said Friday.
Five people have been detained for attacking Dayalu Suna, the pastor, late Thursday at the church in Kalyanpur, some 80 km from Lucknow.
"Those who attacked the pastor should have approached us if they believed he indulged in forceful conversions. Anyhow, we have initiated an enquiry into the case to verify the charges made by locals against the pastor," Inspector M. Qazi said.
"Security in Kalyanpur area, particularly around the church, has also been strengthened," he added.
According to the police, the mob also tried to attack some students and a teacher of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur, who had come to the church to attend a function.
However, they were rescued by the timely intervention of police.
Recommended For You
- I Had Warned BCCI Against Preparing a Dry Pitch: Pune Curator
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Koffee With Karan: Kapil Sharma's Episode Is Going to Be the Funniest One Ever
- Nokia 3310 Is Back And The Internet Can't Handle It
- 'Indecision' Review System: India Get 17 Out of 55 Calls Right