1-min read

Patna boy kidnapped, murdered for ransom


Updated: May 30, 2009, 1:51 PM IST
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp
Patna boy kidnapped, murdered for ransom
The nine-year-old was kidnapped from near his house.

Patna: The nine-year-old son of a trader, who was kidnapped from near his residence on Thursday evening has been murdered, police said on Saturday.

Satyam, a class IV student of Doon Academy in Kankarbagh locality, was last sighted playing near his house in the People's Cooperative colony in the same area on Thursday evening.

His body was recovered from a house in adjoining Ashok Nagar on Saturday morning on the basis of the confession statement of two suspects, Superintendent of Police (City) Anwar Hussain was quoted by news agency PTI as saying.

Hussain said two boys - both 14-year-old neighbours of the victim - Avinash and Monu were arrested on suspicion, following which they confessed to their involvement in the crime.

The duo planned to kidnap Satyam two months ago after watching movie Apaharan. Avinash took Satyam to a hired room and killed him when Satyam tried to make noise.

Then he called his friend over and both of them called Sataym's parents - after killing him - for ransom .

The boy was apparently strangulated though the exact cause of death will be known only after postmortem examination.

"The accused planned this one month in advance. They and the victim were known to each other and used to live in the same locality, so they had no trouble kidnapping him and taking him to a rented room. They planned this after watching the movie Apharan," said the Patna Superintendent of Police.

The accused, in his confessional statement said: "I strangled him for four to five minutes after which he died. I would have enjoyed life with the Rs 5 lakh I would have got in ransom money."

Enraged over the incident, locals ransacked Avinash's shop and blocked the road by burning tyres for about a couple of hours.

Station House Officer of Kankarbagh Giridhar Pandey has been transferred on the charge of dereliction of duty.

An FIR was registered with the Kankarbagh police station on Thursday after Satyam's father Rajesh Kumar received a ransom call the same night at around 2030 hrs IST, demanding Rs 50 lakh.


In Kanpur, an eight-year-old boy, Saddam, was stabbed to death by two older boys. They were fighting over a kite. Saddam died in a hospital on Saturday morning. One of the accused is absconding while the other has been arrested.

(With inputs from PTI)

First Published: May 30, 2009, 1:51 PM IST
Read full article
Next Story
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp