Pawar admits monsoon subdued, plans ahead
After days of denial, Sharad Pawar has admitted to deficient monsoon.
New Delhi: After days of denial, Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar has admitted that the deficient monsoon could be leading up to one of India's worst droughts in recent years. Pawar was speaking after being briefed by his officials on the progress of rains.
Pawar said rainfall will be subdued over Punjab, Haryana and parts of western Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. He said active monsoon condition is likely to continue over central India in next two days and monsoon is expected to intensify over Maharashtra and Gujarat in the next two days and that rainfall is likely to increase in eastern and North eastern India.
Accepting that monsoon has been inadequate in several parts of northern India, the UPA Government said on Friday that in case sowing failed due to lack of rains, it would make additional seeds available to the states.
"As of now seeds and fertilisers have been provided to state governments. However, in case sowing fails in areas where it had been completed, then we will provide 5 lakh tonnes of additional seeds, especially to farmers cultivating paddy, oilseeds and pulses - which are the worst hit," Sharad Pawar informed the Rajya Sabha.
He said that the Government will also stay prepared to supply diesel and electricity to farmers for irrigation.
Replying to supplementaries during the Question Hour, he said problems prevailed in Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and western Uttar Pradesh, where monsoon has been inadequate, "but I feel that the situation will improve".
- Rain or thundershowers are expected at a few places in Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttrakhand, Punjab, Haryana, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh
- Isolated rains also expected in Rajasthan
- Konkan, Goa, Marathwada and central Maharshtra will also witness rain over the next two days, but the rains will decrease after that
- Rains also expected in the Gujarat region and Saurashtra over the next 24 hours according to the weatherman
- There might be isolated rain or thundershowers over the Kutch during the next 24 hours and the surrounding areas thereafter
- Use seeds of early maturing variety and replace them with late maturing variety
- If there is need for funds from states, that process can begin. As of now, the maximum demand is not for funds but for seeds
- Need for going in for inter-cropping
- The Government has to be prepared for meeting energy security of farmers that is supply of electricity and diesel
- 5 lakh tonnes of seeds available to be distributed - paddy, oilseeds and pulses
- Rahul Gandhi Pledges Congress' Full Support to Modi Over Surgical Strikes
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- Rahul Gandhi Flays RSS, Accuses it of Trying to 'Divide India'
- Defamation Case: Rahul Gandhi Makes his Appearance in Assam Court
- UN Chief Offers to Mediate Between India, Pak to De-escalate Tension
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed