Phablet market grew 4,504 per cent in 2012: Report
ABI Research projects that more than 150 million phablets will be shipped in 2013; this will account for 18 per cent of all smartphone shipments.
New Delhi: According to a report from the market research firm ABI Research, almost 83 million phablets were shipped in 2012, an increase of 4,504 per cent from 2011. ABI Research projects that more than 150 million phablets will be shipped in 2013. This will account for 18 per cent of all smartphone shipments.
The report says, the bulk of phablets will be shipped in the 4.6 to 5-inch screen category. It is anticipated that four out of every five phablets shipped will be in the mentioned segment. It is forecasted that the phablet shipments will grow gradually from 2014 onwards, and only around 25 per cent of smartphones shipments in 2018 will be of the phablet genre.
Samsugn Galaxy S III is believed to be one of the biggest influencers. This device has a large 4.8-inch touchscreen. "Using the Galaxy SIII made people realise that a larger device would be less cumbersome to handle and add significantly to the user experience of the device. 2013 will become the year of the phablet-we will probably see all the major mobile OEMs introducing a phablet model," said the report.
Besdies, Samsung's Galaxy note was also a hit and its suucessor the Galaxy Note II is also getting rave reviews. Apart from Samsung, Sony also unveield the mammoth Xperia Z smartphone at the CES 2013, while Huawei unveiled two phablets at the show. Tech titan HTC also doffed the silk off its gigantic HTC Buttterfly last year.
The interesting question here is that will Apple join the phablet party? According to the report, Apple is likely to jump on the bandwagon by the end of this year.
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Jio MAMI 2016: When Aishwarya Rai Made Newcomer Anushka Sharma Feel at Home
- Jio MAMI 2016: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Will Be Like a Therapy for Unrequited Love, Says Karan Johar
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about Anurag Khashyap's tweet over ADHM
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
From Our Network
- Samajwadi Party LIVE: Mulayam Singh Yadav expels Ram Gopal for 6 years from party; Shivpal Yadav says he conspired with BJP- FirstPost
- This co-operative society manager with Rs 8,000 salary is a crorepati - Pradesh18
- Boy tied to pole, mercilessly beaten for stealing cigarettes from a shop - Pradesh18