Phone hacking: Aides of Murdoch, Cameron charged
Murdoch's former aide Rebekah Brooks and Cameron's director of communications face a total of 19 charges.
London: Key former aides of media baron Rupert Murdoch and Prime Minister David Cameron were on Tuesday charged with criminal conspiracy to hack into phones of individuals and other charges, taking the year-long phone-hacking row to a new level.
Rebekah Brooks, Murdoch's high-profile former aide and editor of the News of the World, and Andy Coulson, who was Cameron's director of communications, are among eight people who face a total of 19 charges related to phone-hacking.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) on Tuesday said the eight, who were arrested earlier and are currently on bail, have been informed of the charges today.
All eight have been charged with conspiring to intercept communications between 13 October 2001 and 9 August 2006.
The charges have been framed against them following evidence presented to the CPS.
The evidence was gathered during a series of ongoing inquiries initiated by Scotland Yard.
Besides Brooks and Coulson, others facing charges are former News of the World managing editor Stuart Kuttner, former news editor Greg Miskiw, former assistant editor Ian Edmondson, former chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck, former assistant editor James Weatherup and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire.
- Schizophrenia Can't be Ground for Halting Death Penalty, Says Pakistan SC Citing Indian Judgment
- 2nd Test: Fit-Again Younis Khan Leads Pakistan's Charge Against WI
- BSF Says 7 Pak Rangers, Terrorist Killed in Retaliatory Firing Along Jammu Border
- Salahuddin Seeks Help From Pak Military Pak Over Kashmir
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Jayalalithaa Interacting, Progressing Gradually, Says Apollo Hospitals
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: UP Amass 524, Tamil Nadu 34/1 on Day 2
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18