Pilot killed in Indian Navy Sea Harrier crash
Efforts were underway to locate wreckage of aircraft.
Panaji: An Indian Navy Sea Harrier combat jet crashed on Friday off the Goa coast, killing its pilot, Lt. Cdr. Saurav Saxena, an official said.
The single seater fighter had taken off from the Dabolim airport here at around 1000 hrs IST for a routine sortie and crashed soon after, the official added.
Efforts were underway to locate the wreckage of the twin-engined V/STOL (vertical/short take-off and landing jet).
The Indian Navy's Sea Harriers, which were inducted in the early 1980, are deployed on India's lone aircraft carrier INS Viraat that is undergoing a life-extending refit at the Cochin Shipyard.
The Dabolim airport is the land base for the jets, which were recently retrofitted to enable them to fire beyond visual range (BVR) missiles.
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Meet the Man Who is Giving Music to Akhilesh's Campaign as Samajwadi Party Gets Lost in Surround Sound
- Akhilesh Will Be CM, Ready to Give it in Writing on Stamp Paper, Says an Emotional Shivpal
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18