Pinaka rockets successfully test-fired
Pinaka, which has undergone several tough tests since 1995, has already been inducted into the armed forces.
Balasore (Odisha): Indigenously developed Pinaka rockets were on Thursday successfully test-fired from a multi-barrel rocket launcher (MBRL) by an armament establishment from a base at Chandipur-on-sea, about 15 km from Balasore.
"Three rounds of Pinaka rockets were successfully tested today," defence sources said, adding some more trials were expected to be conducted on Friday. On January 30 and 31, 213 seven rounds of Pinaka rockets were tested from the same base.
Pinaka, which has undergone several tough tests since 1995, has already been inducted into the armed forces. Thursday's test was conducted by personnel from Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE), Pune unit at Proof and Experimental Establishment (PXE) firing point-2 at Chandipur, the sources said.
"The MBRL, capable of acting as a force-multiplier, has been developed to supplement artillery guns," a defence official said.
Pinaka is an area weapon system with a range of 40 km. The quick reaction time and high rate of fire of the system gives an edge to the army during a low-intensity conflict situation, he said. The unguided rocket system is meant to neutralise large areas with rapid salvos. Pinaka system can fire a salvo of 12 rockets in 44 seconds, the sources said, adding that the battery of six launchers can neutralise at a time a target area of 3.9 sq km.
The system's capability to incorporate several types of warheads makes it deadly for the enemy as it can even destroy solid structures and bunkers.
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- 90% Apple Lightning-to-USB Cables Sold on Amazon, Groupon Are Fake
- Watch: Kapil Sharma Leaves ADHM Cast in Splits
- Ranbir Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai's Scorching Chemistry Will Make Your Jaws Drop
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- Airtel Offers 10GB of 4G Mobile Data at Rs 259
- Nokia to Help Bharti Airtel to Expand 4G Network in India
From Our Network
- Rising MNS is bad news for Shiv Sena: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil agitation helped BJP to counter its bitter ally- FirstPost
- Ramdev pegs 200% growth for Patanjali this year; promises big ticket investment in Madhya Pradesh - Pradesh18
- CM Nitish Kumar wishes speedy recovery to injured Mamata Banerjee’s nephew - Pradesh18