Pinki seeks Mamata's intervention in her case
Many people assured me of help in my days of crisis, but there are none around me now, the Asian Games Gold medallist said.
Kolkata: Alleging harassment by police, Asian Games Gold medallist Pinki Pramanik, who has been charged with rape, on Thursday urged Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to intervene in the case. "I would like the chief minister to speak out against my harassment and want the cooperation of Sports minister Madan Mitra and the West Bengal government. Many people assured me of help in my days of crisis, but there are none around me now. This is shocking," Pinki, who has been identified as male by police in its charge sheet after medical reports, told reporters.
Reiterating her charge that the police were harassing her and provoking her to commit suicide, the athlete who won the 4x400 m relay gold in 2006 Doha Asian Games, said, "I gave so much to the country and many persons including those from sporting fraternity promised help, but I regret that none are forthcoming."
The 26-year-old Pinki, who has been accused of raping her live-in partner Anamika Acharya said, "The greatest blunder in my life was to give her shelter." Asked if Pinki would move a defamation case against the police for alleged harassment, her lawyer M Sanyal said that they were yet to receive a copy of the medical report submitted by the prosecution in the court.
The medical report from the CFSL, Hyderabad confirmed that she was a male which Pinki has contested arguing that higher male hormones does not make one a male. Pinki was arrested on June 14 after her live-in partner filed an FIR against the athlete for rape and cheating and an order for medical examination to confirm her gender was issued thereafter. The athlete was given bail on July 11 pending disposal of all cases.
- PM Narendra Modi to Review Border Situation in CCS Meet
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution
- MS Dhoni Biopic Not Banned, Says Pakistan's CBFC Chief
- Post Surgical Strike, PM Modi to Chair Cabinet Committee on Security Meeting
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- It's High Time We Respond to Terrorism: John Abraham
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Will Live Up to the Hype: Neeraj Pandey
- SRK Turns Into a DJ for Radio Show and His First Mix Will Leave You in Splits