Playlist: The best of Shamshad Begum
Shanshad Begum was a big fan of KL Saigal and was conferred Padma Bhushan in 2009 by the Indian government.
New Delhi: One of the initial playback singers of the Hindi film industry Shamshad Begum is not with us anymore. She died at her Mumbai residence at the age of 94.
Shamshad Begum was born on April 14, 1919 in Amritsar, Punjab. She made her debut on Peshawar Radio in Lahore on December 16, 1947. Very soon, her distinct singing style made her popular among the listeners.
Her daughter Usha told PTI, "She was not keeping well for past few months and was admitted to the hospital. She passed away last night. The funeral was a solemn affair with a few friends present."
She was the voice behind superhit songs like 'Leke pehla pehla pyar' and 'Mere piya gaye Rangoon'.
She was a big fan of KL Saigal and was conferred Padma Bhushan in 2009 by the Indian government.
Here is a playlist of some of her best songs.
Recommended For You
- Indian Spinners Lacked Patience in the Second Innings: Maninder Singh
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- Oscars 2017: Why The Sudden Criticism For La La Land Is Disappointing
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- Oscars 2017: Why Dev Patel Deserves to Win for Lion