Playlist: The best of Shamshad Begum
Shanshad Begum was a big fan of KL Saigal and was conferred Padma Bhushan in 2009 by the Indian government.
New Delhi: One of the initial playback singers of the Hindi film industry Shamshad Begum is not with us anymore. She died at her Mumbai residence at the age of 94.
Shamshad Begum was born on April 14, 1919 in Amritsar, Punjab. She made her debut on Peshawar Radio in Lahore on December 16, 1947. Very soon, her distinct singing style made her popular among the listeners.
Her daughter Usha told PTI, "She was not keeping well for past few months and was admitted to the hospital. She passed away last night. The funeral was a solemn affair with a few friends present."
She was the voice behind superhit songs like 'Leke pehla pehla pyar' and 'Mere piya gaye Rangoon'.
She was a big fan of KL Saigal and was conferred Padma Bhushan in 2009 by the Indian government.
Here is a playlist of some of her best songs.
- India Should Start Talks with Pakistan: Sitaram Yechury
- Pakistan Still in Anaesthesia After Surgery: Manohar Parrikar
- India 'Hiding' Casualties in Surgical Strike, Says Pakistan Army
- India's Claim of Surgical Strike False: Pakistan to UN Chief
- Narrow Escape From Electric Shock For Rahul Gandhi in Agra
- Honest Officers Being Removed Systematically: Kejriwal
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Box Office Collection Crosses Rs 21 Crore on Day 1
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput