PM, Sonia pay homage to Sathya Sai Baba
Singh and Gandhi, accompanied by Union Minister Ambika Soni, arrived here by a special aircraft.
Puttaparthi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi paid homage to Godman Satya Sai Baba on Tuesday evening.
Both the leaders stood in silence in front of the glass casket containing the body of the spiritual leader, who died on Sunday, and placed wreaths at his feet and sat for a few minutes at the Sai Kulwant Hall.
They heard in rapt attention Sai bhajans being sung by followers before they left the hall.
Singh and Gandhi, accompanied by Union Minister Ambika Soni, arrived here by a special aircraft and drove straight to Prashanthi Nilayam, where baba's body was lying in state in the Sai Kulwant hall.
Earlier, Andhra Pradesh Governor E S L Narasimhan, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, who reached Puttaparthi in the afternoon, received Singh and Gandhi at the airport and accompanied them to Sai Kulwant hall.
Sai Baba would be buried in the Sai Kulwant hall with full state honours between 9 and 9.30 am on Wednesday.
The Governor and Chief Minister will stay in Puttaparthi and attend the burial ceremonial, officials said.
- Donald Trump Seeks to Bar Sexual Misconduct Claims from Trump University Trial
- BSF Says 7 Pakistani Rangers, Terrorist Killed Along Jammu Border, Pak Denies
- Hillary Clinton, Trump Spending Furiously as Election Day Approaches
- For Dialogue, Pakistan Must Stop Infiltration on Border: Mehbooba Mufti
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess