DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
PM, wife pledge to donate eyes
There are over 4.5 million visually challenged persons in the country.
New Delhi: Setting an example, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his wife Gursharan Singh on Thursday pledged to donate their eyes. They signed the pledge form on the occasion of National Eye Donation day.
There are over 4.5 million visually challenged persons in the country and doctors feel that at least three million can gain their sight through cornea transplant.
Eye donation can help restore vision among the corneally-blind.
There are more than 400 organisations registered with Eye Bank Association of India which are spreading awareness about eye donation and facilitating eye donation.
A non-metered service number 1919 has been provided by BSNL and MTNL all over the country to facilitate easy access to the nearest eye bank.
Recommended For You
- 'Missing' Chennai-based Model Gaanam Nair Returns Home
- List of Top Five Bikes to Buy in Less Than Rs 1 Lakh: The One That's Meant For You
- Jab We Met, Chak De! India and Other Films That Turn 10 in 2017
- Vinod Kambli Shares Age-old Picture With Sachin Tendulkar
- Nana Patekar Bags Key Role In Kaala Karikaalan