Police detain protesters agitating against DU 4-yr programme
"The protesters were not even allowed to do a peaceful candle light protest," JAFDE convener Udit Raj alleged.
New Delhi: Several protesters including teachers and students were briefly detained after they gathered at India Gate on Monday to protest against the introduction of Delhi University's four-year programme. The protesters under the aegis of Joint Action Front for Democratic Education had gathered to hold a candle-light march against the new programme when they were "forcefully" taken to Parliament Street police station.
"The police snatched our placards, manhandled women, disabled persons on wheel chair and children. The protesters were not even allowed to do a peaceful candle light protest," JAFDE convener Udit Raj alleged.
The outfit claimed that students coming from weaker sections, especially those belonging to SC, ST and OBC, would face difficulties in pursuing the new programme as they would not be able to meet the expenditure of an additional year. "We are planning a series of agitations as the government is refusing to intervene and stop the implementation of FYUP. Centre has to realise that FYUP is not an internal matter of the university as it is going to affect thousands of students," Raj said.
The new pattern will be a shift from the present 10+2+3 scheme and entail awarding a diploma if a student exits after two years, a bachelor's degree after three years and a bachelor's degree with honours or a B Tech degree on completion of four years. The admission process for various courses under the new pattern will begin from June 5.
- Pakistani Artistes Not Terrorists, They Have Visas: Salman Khan
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- IMPPA Passes Resolution Temporarily Banning Pakistani Artistes In India
- Cauvery Water Row: Centre Fails to Broker Deal Between Karnataka, TN
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- Sharif Chairs Cabinet Meet Day After Indian Strike on Terror Camps Across LoC
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution
- US Asks Pakistan to Take Action Against Terrorist Outfits