DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Poll schedule may defer Union budget
The railways and the main budgets are usually announced by February-end soon after parliament's budget session opens.
New Delhi: The railways and the general budgets for the year 2012-13 may have to be deferred by a few days due to the model code of conduct for assembly polls in five states being in place till March 9.
The railways and the main budgets are usually announced by February-end soon after parliament's budget session opens in the third or the last week of February.
Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi, announcing the poll dates Saturday for Goa, Manipur, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh and Punjab, said the model code of conduct would be applicable with "immediate effect from now".
The code, announced to prevent governments from giving out sops to the electorate, remains operational till the process of elections is completed, which is March 9 in this case.
Asked about the poll schedule clashing with the presentation of the budgets, Quraishi said, "The government will have to take care of it."
Recommended For You
- Would Have Approached the 2003 World Cup Differently if T20s Existed Then: Tendulkar
- Trescothick Takes Wonder Catch and Scores 50th Century For Somerset
- Moto C, Moto C Plus Unveiled: Price, Specifications and More
- IPL 2017: Mumbai Indians Thank 'Nani' For Thrilling Victory
- Manchester Arena Terror Attack: All You Wanted to Know About Ariana Grande