Popularity of item songs shows their acceptance: Anushka
Anushka Sharma believes that Bollywood item songs should not be blamed for depicting vulgarity on screen.
New Delhi: Actress Anushka Sharma believes that Bollywood item songs should not be blamed for depicting vulgarity on screen as such songs are part of entertainment.
"I do not consider myself a feminist and I do not believe that by doing female-oriented films and depicting women fighting the system, we can change the system. Or by omitting item song we can change mindsets," Anushka said at the India Today conclave here.
The 24-year-old actress, who made her debut with 'Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi' opposite Shah Rukh Khan, and starred in hits like 'Band Baaja Baaraat' and 'Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola', says such songs are played out at every family function and
wedding in the country, indicating their acceptance.
"I haven't done item songs out of choice as they have not appealed me creatively. I consider them a part of entertainment. What I have a problem with is when a song is not done well.
"These item songs garner maximum viewership and are played at every family function so why should an actor or film industry should be subjected to such hypocrisy. Popularity of item song is testimony to its acceptance. So If you are
accepting it, take responsibility for your choices," said Anushka.
The actress is famous for playing relatable characters like a wedding planner, a TV reporter and a Haryanavi girl onscreen and Anushka says she likes playing real characters.
"I do not choose characters because I think 'wow that woman is so strong'. I chose these characters with utmost conviction because I think they were realistic enough to exist and I really liked the scripts," she said.
- Pakistan Postpones SAARC Summit After Five Member Countries Pull Out
- India's Claim of Surgical Strike False: Pakistan to UN Chief
- 1st ODI: Azam, Nawaz Star as Pakistan Thrash West Indies
- US Lawmakers Support India's Counter-Terror Operations in PoK
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput
- Dhoni Applauds Sushant Singh Rajput's Performance In MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha