Popularity of item songs shows their acceptance: Anushka
Anushka Sharma believes that Bollywood item songs should not be blamed for depicting vulgarity on screen.
New Delhi: Actress Anushka Sharma believes that Bollywood item songs should not be blamed for depicting vulgarity on screen as such songs are part of entertainment.
"I do not consider myself a feminist and I do not believe that by doing female-oriented films and depicting women fighting the system, we can change the system. Or by omitting item song we can change mindsets," Anushka said at the India Today conclave here.
The 24-year-old actress, who made her debut with 'Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi' opposite Shah Rukh Khan, and starred in hits like 'Band Baaja Baaraat' and 'Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola', says such songs are played out at every family function and
wedding in the country, indicating their acceptance.
"I haven't done item songs out of choice as they have not appealed me creatively. I consider them a part of entertainment. What I have a problem with is when a song is not done well.
"These item songs garner maximum viewership and are played at every family function so why should an actor or film industry should be subjected to such hypocrisy. Popularity of item song is testimony to its acceptance. So If you are
accepting it, take responsibility for your choices," said Anushka.
The actress is famous for playing relatable characters like a wedding planner, a TV reporter and a Haryanavi girl onscreen and Anushka says she likes playing real characters.
"I do not choose characters because I think 'wow that woman is so strong'. I chose these characters with utmost conviction because I think they were realistic enough to exist and I really liked the scripts," she said.
- PM Modi Urges People to Break out of SP-BSP Stranglehold in UP
- Samajwadi Party Meeting Turns Into Family Drama After Akhilesh and Shivpal Spar In Public
- Samajwadi Party's Old Guard May Need Akhilesh's 'Youth Appeal' in 2017 Polls
- Samajwadi Party Rift: Mulayam Backs Amar, Shivpal; Meet Ends in Acrimony
- Bigg Boss 10: Priyanka Jagga Is The First Contestant to Get Eliminated This Season
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about the 2-day BRICS Summit
- Aamir Wanted to Play Max in Josh but I Had SRK in Mind: Mansoor Khan
- Jio MAMI 2016: 10 Facts About Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar Revealed by Cast