Gasquet downs Mirnyi in Portugal
French fifth seed Richard Gasquet overcame Max Mirnyi 6-3, 6-3 on Tuesday at the Estoril Open.
New Delhi: French fifth seed Richard Gasquet overcame Max Mirnyi 6-3, 6-3 on Tuesday to set up a second-round clash with Frederico Gil at the Estoril Open in Portugal.
World Number 15 in the world, Gasquet limited the big-hitting Mirnyi to just four aces on a cloudy afternoon at the Estadio Nacional.
Gasquet beat the big Belarussian for the second time after winning the Nottingham title on grass two years ago.
"I'm happy to win this match because it was hard for me with the weather, a lot of wind, so I'm happy to win this match in two sets," Gasquet said after posting the impressive win.
Gasquet has now reached the last eight or better in four tournaments this year so far.
Meanwhile, Paul-Henri Mathieu upset world number six Fernando Gonzalez 6-2, 6-4 to reach the second round.
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- Supreme Court Set To Revisit 'Hindutva' Judgment After 20 Years
- Boris Johnson's Anti-Brexit Article Made Public by UK Daily
- Britain's PM Theresa May Heads to India With Eye on Post-Brexit Trade