Power hike protests: AP government assures relook
Chief Minister said the hike in power tariff will be re-looked and reduced so that poorer sections are least affected.
Hyderabad: Bowing to intensified protests by TDP and other opposition parties on the issue of power crisis, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Tuesday night said the power tariff hike would be revisited so that poor sections were not burdened. Police meanwhile shifted the fasting BJP MLAs -- G Kishan Reddy, E Lakshminarayna and Y Srinivasa Reddy -- to hospital in view of their health condition. They had launched a hunger strike four days back.
Holding present Congress and previous TDP governments responsible for the power crisis, YSR Congress Party (YSRCP) honorary president YS Vijayamma began a 'Current (electricity) Satyagraha' in Hyderabad on Tuesday. The Left parties and main opposition TDP have already held separate fasts over the power crisis. The fasting leaders of TDP and Left too were shifted to hospitals by police after their health condition caused concern. Vowing to continue its protests, TDP on Tuesday launched a signature campaign against the power tariff hike proposal.
TRS president K Chandrasekhar Rao maintained that Congress and TDP should be blamed for the power crisis as they have been in power for several decades now. He also appealed to party workers to counter the argument that the separate statehood demand is not strong in Hyderabad. Meanwhile, the Chief Minister said the hike in power tariff will be "re-looked and reduced so that poorer sections are least affected".
He said a final decision on the issue will be taken after consulting the Cabinet sub-committee on April four or five. Reddy was speaking in Nellore district as part of his ongoing 'Indiramma Bata' mass-contact programme.
- Dhanteras Buying Fails to Lift Gold; Falls Rs 110
- Dhanteras: Festival of Wealth
- Celebrate Diwali With Pious And Not With Noise
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Movie Review: Soulfully Acted, It'll Strike a Chord With The Audience
- PM Modi's Sandesh2Soldiers Drive Draws Over 10 Lakh Messages
- Shivaay Review: Ajay Devgn-starrer Is Seldom Compelling
- Diwali Gifts: Top Cars in India That Are Ideal for It
- PM Modi Likely to Spend Diwali on Indo-Tibetan Border with ITBP Jawans