Prabhakaran made two last-minute attempts to flee: Navy
The LTTE chief, whose dead body was recovered on Tuesday, tried to escape to India or Malaysia.
Colombo: LTTE chief Velupillai Prabhakaran made two last-minute attempts to escape to India or Malaysia, but these came too late as the Sri Lankan Navy had put up an effective naval blockade by then.
These failures left no option for Prabhakaran, who had earlier hoodwinked and outmaneuvered the Sri Lankan security apparatus, to stay put in the northern war zone and fight to the last.
Prabhakaran made these attempts as Sri Lankan forces made major advances into the rebel-held territory this year, naval spokesman DK Dasanayake said.
"He had attempted to flee to India or Malaysia but he couldn't as the Navy has strengthened its vigilance," he said.
Media reports had earlier said that the LTTE leader may try to escape to a South Asian country through the sea route.
Prabhakaran's body was on Tuesday recovered near a lagoon in Puthumathalan in the northern region.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Ben Stokes Excited to Be Part of MS Dhoni's Team
- Films You Need To Watch Before Tuning Into Oscars 2017
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- SRK's Circus Returns To TV, Twitterati Can't Contain Their Excitement
- Federer wants Nadal as Laver Cup doubles partner