Protesters clash with police at Jantar Mantar
A group of protesters sat on a one-day hunger strike at Jantar Mantar while others shouted slogans holding placards
New Delhi: A group of protesters, allegedly owing allegiance to BJP's student wing ABVP clashed with police on December 30 at Jantar Mantar during a demonstration demanding speedy punishment for the rapists of the girl who died after battling for life. The hitherto peaceful protest turned violent at around 1 pm when a group among the protesters carrying flags and banners of ABVP tried to take out a march from Jantar Mantar to Connaught Place but police prevented them from moving ahead, following which the clash erupted.
While one group went ahead with the peaceful demonstration, another group tried to break the iron barricades and police called in more reinforcement. Protesters managed to break some of the barricades but police immediately contained them. Police, meanwhile, started an exercise to identify the miscreants and is taking them away from the spot.
At Jantar Mantar, young and old, men and women gathered at the protest hotspot from morning in an outpouring of grief and anger at the rape and death of the 23-year paramedic student. A group of protesters sat on a one-day hunger strike at Jantar Mantar while others shouted slogans holding placards in their hands.
India Gate and Raisina Hill, where violent protests had taken place last week, remained out of bounds for public on December 30 as hundreds of policemen in riot gear guarded the area. "The entire central vista including Rajpath, Vijay Chowk and all roads leading to India Gate will be closed for general traffic. Kamal Attaturk Marg has also been closed. All travellers are advised to avoid these roads," police said.
- BSF Says 7 Pak Rangers, Terrorist Killed in Retaliatory Firing Along Jammu Border
- For Dialogue, Pakistan Must Stop Infiltration on Border: Mehbooba Mufti
- Pakistan Violates Ceasefire in Kathua District, 1 BSF Jawan Injured
- Search Operations in Baramulla for the Second Time
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
- Watch: Kapil Sharma Leaves ADHM Cast in Splits
- Timeline of Criminal Defamation Case Filed Against Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18