J&K: Cardiologist injured, 2 policemen killed in terror attack
Police, assisted by security forces, have cordoned off the area and a hunt has been launched to nab the assailants.
Srinagar: Kashmir's top cardiologist Dr Sheikh Jalal-ud-din was critically injured on Thursday in a terror attack which left two of his police guards dead in the highway township of Pampore in Pulwama district of south Kashmir.
Jalal (64), former Director of Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS), Soura, and his security guards were targeted by terrorists near his residence at Namblabal in Pampore, 16 kms from Srinagar, on Srinagar-Jammu national highway, police said.
While Jalal's two police guards died on-the-spot, the cardiologist was hit by a bullet in the left eye and was rushed to Soura medical institute in a critical condition, they said.
No terrorist outfit has claimed responsibility for the attack so far. Police, assisted by security forces, have cordoned off the area and a hunt has been launched to nab the assailants, police said.
The attack comes a day after a top Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist was killed in a grenade explosion at Batmaloo in central Srinagar while he was being shifted to Baramulla district jail in a police vehicle.
Police blamed terrorists for the attack, but Hizbul Mujahideen accused the police of stage managing the attack to eliminate Shakeel Ahmad Kasana, who was arrested last year. Hizbul spokesman Baliguddin told a local news gathering agency that the outfit will carry out attacks to avenge Kasana's death.
- Despite Mulayam's Peace Efforts, Rift Widens Between Akhilesh, Shivpal
- Neelabh's Toon: Akhilesh, Shivpal Spar Creates Rift in Samajwadi Party
- Iraqi Forces Encounter Stiff Resistance from ISIS in Mosul
- Feud Won't Affect Muslim Votes, Says SP's Azam Khan, Analysts Not So Sure
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: South Korea Strengthen Semifinal Claim With 5-3 Win Over China
- I Want To Be My Best For My Daughter: Shahid Kapoor
- Theatre Is a Beautiful Platform, Says Shahid Kapoor
- Bigg Boss 10: Priyanka Jagga Is The First Contestant to Get Eliminated This Season