Pune: Hasan Ali's wife granted bail
Her application seeking quashing of the ED proceedings against her was rejected by the court on September 8.
Mumbai: A special court on Thursday granted bail to the wife of Pune businessman and alleged tax evader Hasan Ali Khan.
Enforcement Directorate (ED) had initiated proceedings against Rheema Khan under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) and relevant section of the IPC for not responding to summons and appearing before the agency for questioning.
She was granted bail by the special PMLA court in Mumbai. Her application seeking quashing of the ED proceedings against her was rejected by the court on September 8 after which she filed for bail.
Rheema, on August 17, had approached the court asking for direction to quash the proceedings which were initiated after she did not respond to the summons.
"She had earlier filed bail application after which the court granted her interim bail. Now she has been given regular bail," said an ED officer.
ED has alleged that Hasan, currently in jail, and his Kolkata-based businessman associate Kashinath Tapuriah had stashed away billions of dollars in foreign banks.
Tapuriah had helped Hasan, who was into scrap trading business, to get lucrative contracts for supply of scrap to some top steel companies, the agency said.
Hasan, who owns race horses, is also facing close to Rs 70,000-crore tax demand notice from the Income Tax Department.
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender