DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Quake: Jalpaiguri jail prisoners try to escape
Nearly 1,100 prisoners came out of their cells after the windows and doors of the cells collapsed due to earthquake.
Kolkata: Taking advantage of the earthquake on Sunday, prisoners in Jalpaiguri jail tried to escape as some of the doors and windows collapsed under the impact of the tremor, prison authorities said.
Nearly 1,100 prisoners came out of their cells in the Jalpaiguri Central Correctional Home after the windows and doors of some prison cells collapsed.
"Nearly 1,100 prisoners broke open the collapsed doors and came outside," jail officials said.
However, the jail wardens and guards immediately took control of the situation, they said. Extra police force was immediately posted outside the jail to prevent any escape of prisoners and the jail authorities have also switched on the flood lights, they said.
Recommended For You
- Sachin: A Billion Dreams: It Coasts Along on the Strength of Nostalgia
- When Caste Killed Community in Saharanpur
- Virender Sehwag Asked to Apply for the Post of India Coach
- Take a Journey Through the Lives of Famous Sportsmen With These Films
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi