Quintavalle wins women's 57kg judo
She won from a division that saw all its leading lights fall by the wayside early on.
Beijing: Italy's Giulia Quintavalle was a shock winner of the women's -57kg judo category at the Beijing Olympic Games on Monday.
Quintavalle emerged triumphant from a division that saw all its leading lights fall by the wayside early on.
The Italian, who has never before even medalled at European level, edged out Deborah Gravenstijn of the Netherlands in the final by a small yuko score from an osoto-gari (major outer sweep) throw.
Completing a podium that no-one could have imagined at the start of the day were bronze medallists Ketleyn Quadros of Brazil and Xu Yan of China, neither of whom had ever before challenged for medals at the top level.
- UNGA: Sushma Says Kashmir Integral Part of India; Asks Pakistan To Stop Dreaming
- Indian Minister Disowned UN Resolutions in Speech: Pakistan
- Sushma Swaraj To Pakistan: Stop Dreaming About Kashmir
- Watch: Gloves Off Ahead Of Sushma's UN Speech
- Some Reactions Around the World To First Trump-Clinton Debate
- US Presidential Debate: Why Donald Trump Sniffles Had the Internet Choking
- Hillary Clinton Wins First Presidential Debate: CNN-ORC Poll
- I Have Experience, Says Hillary Clinton on Trump's 'Presidential Look' Jibe at Her